The Ladies' Tea Guild

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Slowly catching up ...

photo from www.e-Cobo.com.
AUTUMN DAYS.  BY LOTTIE LINWOOD.
‘Tis Autumn time! the summer flowers
Have faded ‘neath its golden feet;
The birds have left their shady bowers,
And winds chime mournfully and sweet;
The maple boughs, whose folded leaves
Have whispered through the summer days
Like bright-winged birds, around the eaves
Are flitting in the sun’s pale rays;
I hear their rustling low and sweet,
As if an angel floated o’er;
They seem to me like friends I meet,
And love, then part forever more. 

The dreamy lull of limpid streams;
The azure haze that floats above,
Enshroud earth as mysterious dreams,
O’er all our spirits softly move. 
Spirit of dreams! oh, I would bless
Thy soft luxurious charms for aye,
And fold thee in my soul’s caress,
Now and forever till I die!
Oh, chide me not! the low wind rhymes,
Full many a plaintive trembling lay,
And I could listen to her hymns,
Till I had breathed my life away. 
-- from Godey's _Lady's Book_, October 1855. 

Well, it looks like I'm resurfacing again after a few months away.  I moved two times since I last posted, started the new school year with a new classroom, a new teacher, and a new grade level in my after-school shift, and I've been asked to teach a new enrichment class in January, which will entail writing 6 weeks' worth of new curriculum!  It's all good, but it's exhausting!

I'm in a living situation where I can cook and sew again, so I hope to be posting more often about that; I'm starting to gather ingredients for my holiday baking, and I've been working on some costume projects again, so look for posts later this month.  The San Francisco International Tea Festival is coming up next weekend, so I'll be posting about that as soon as I get it written up.  

No comments:

Now stir the fire, and close the shutters fast,
Let fall the curtains, wheel the sofa round,
And, while the bubbling and loud-hissing urn
Throws up a steamy column, and the cups
That cheer but not inebriate, wait on each,
So let us welcome peaceful evening in.
-- William Cowper (1731-1800)
"The Winter Evening" (Book Four), _The Task_ (1784)