|Photo: Elizabeth Urbach|
Anyway, I decided to use some of the smaller lengths of fabric (under 4 yards) from my stash to make some more accurate costumes to replace some of the ones in the worst shape. To this end, I bought the two Civil War girls' dress patterns from Simplicity, and set aside a few lengths of fabric to use, and during my time backstage at our last Lyric Theatre production, I got one dress cut out and partially sewn together. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish it, so it remained on my "unfinished project" list for several months! Lately, though, I've gotten it back out, and finished it by hand. I had to make a few alterations to the pattern, though, to suit its purpose as a dress-up costume that needs to be easy to put on and take off, and needs to fit easily over a girl's regular clothes. I chose the largest size the pattern offered (size 8) and then cut it a bit larger -- as much as I could get out of my fabric, which was only about 3 yards, when the
I also left the bodice and skirt completely open up the center back, and put in a strip of hook-and-loop tape to close the neck, and made waist ties to close the waistline at the back. I also didn't put in the growth tucks so the skirt will be long enough to cover the girls' modern jeans. I hope it's big enough; we get a lot of big girls on our 3rd grade tours! I'm hoping to take it in to the museum next week.