The Ladies' Tea Guild

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Tea apron, part 2

my sister holding up the finished apron and tea towel.
Well, I was able to finish my niece's apron and tea towel (by finishing it in the car on the way to the party) but it didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. As I was drafting the pattern and making it, I was thinking "this looks pretty small; I don't know if it'll fit her ..." and I made it a few inches longer and wider. It's a good thing that I did, because it just fit her. Whew! And she's not that big of a kid; she just turned 3 and I'd say she's of average size for her age, maybe a bit small even. I didn't end up putting a pocket on the apron because I decided that the one I'd planned wouldn't look right, and I didn't end up using any rick-rack trim because I didn't have the right color. And, as you can see from the photo, it didn't get ironed!

The tea towel was made from a regular flour sack towel, cut into quarters; I took one quarter and wrapped a strip of the pink polka-dots around one cut edge to make a hem and hemstitched the other cut edge. I also had a Disney Cinderella iron-on decal that I ended up sewing on in the car because I didn't get time to do any ironing. My niece kind of plowed through my gift with all of her other ones, and I wasn't sure she liked her apron and towel, but I got her to try on the apron at the end of the party to see how it fit and she didn't want to take it off.

As you can see from the photo to the left, my niece gets silly when she's tired out. It's nap time!

No comments:

Now stir the fire, and close the shutters fast,
Let fall the curtains, wheel the sofa round,
And, while the bubbling and loud-hissing urn
Throws up a steamy column, and the cups
That cheer but not inebriate, wait on each,
So let us welcome peaceful evening in.
-- William Cowper (1731-1800)
"The Winter Evening" (Book Four), _The Task_ (1784)